Title: Software Engineers (opensource)
Location: Cape Town office (Somerset West)
ShapeBlue is the world’s leading independent Apache CloudStack integrator. We design, build, integrate, and support IaaS environments for service provider and enterprise customers. The company has offices in London, Mountain View, Rio De Janeiro, Cape Town (Somerset West), and Bangalore.
At ShapeBlue we have a flat structure, are passionate about opensource technology and have an ethos of continuous personal development. ShapeBlue is a relaxed, yet highly motivating, workplace. We are a rapidly growing, small business offering rapid career growth to the right people as we scale.
Our Software Engineering team is currently distributed globally. We are however, now recruiting a team of Engineers to be based together in our Somerset West office.
We seek multiple Software Engineers to work at the intersection of cloud computing, DevOps, and distributed systems. ShapeBlue is “The CloudStack company” and we actively contribute to the enhancement and maintenance of the Apache CloudStack Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) project.
We are recruiting at all levels and are keen to hear from people with different amounts of experience in our required skills and a passion for technology.
You will be based at our Somerset West office but be part of ShapeBlue’s global, distributed Software Engineering team. You will also work closely with the wider Apache opensource community, through mailing lists, slack channels and occasional physical meetings. Your role will be mainly designing & developing features, either from direct customer demand, creating vendor integrations or through our ongoing feature roadmap. You will also be expected to help, support our customer’s production CloudStack operations.
Our work involves deep knowledge of hypervisors, storage, and/or networking. We are a polyglot environment – developing CloudStack in Java and Python whilst working with many different technologies for integration. We then donate all our work back to the opensource project.
Our team values collaboration, customer focus, continuous improvement, and the Apache Way. We will provide you training and mentoring but fully expect you to have a passion for learning new technologies and to work on a collaborative basis. We will expect you to work toward becoming an Apache committer within 6 months and to want to share your work and ideas through conference presentations and hackathons.
You will be an experienced Java developer, having spent time developing complex distributed systems. You will be able to grasp complex architectural issues in a wide variety of fields. You will have a proven ability to (and the desire to) quickly learn new technologies combined with a proven record in delivering solid software.
You will have experience working in collaborative open source projects
You will prefer wearing jeans to a suit but be happy to work with guys in suits.
Skills that will enhance your chances of success at ShapeBlue
• Multiple years of core Java development experience in a distributed system environment with an emphasis on networking and multi-threading.
• Experience tuning the JVM to support production workloads, Spring, and Maven are highly desired.
• Extensive knowledge of the Linux operating system in either an RHEL/CentOS or Ubuntu environment
• Usage and/or development of an IaaS orchestration platform (e.g. Eucalyptus, Cloudstack, OpenStack, etc.)
• Knowledge of virtualization technologies (such as ESXi, KVM, Xen) is required. API for managing platform virtualization like LibVirt is a plus
• Experience of writing Python to develop system automation and test scripts
• Familiarity with a configuration management tool (e.g. Ansible, Puppet, Chef, etc.) and MySQL Database Development
• Knowledge of networking and storage infrastructure automation strongly desired
• Knowledge of container orchestration platforms such as Kubernetes
• Excellent spoken and written English and the ability to work as part of a team
• BSc (or equivalent) in Computer Science or related field
The position will require occasional international travel to different offices, conferences and customer sites.
What we’ll do for you
• Excellent salary and bonus scheme.
• Flexible holiday and annual leave policy
• Great working environment
To apply for this position, please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
1. Cover Letter explaining your interest in the position
2. Current resume/CV – to include experience levels in above skills
3. Salary expectations
If you wish to ask questions about the role, please feel free to email email@example.com